The Making of NMLS: Prologue - 15 Years of NMLS
August 01, 2023
Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS)
In the prologue, we speak with Vickie Peck, Executive Vice President of Products & Solutions, to reflect on how licensing through NMLS has advanced over the past 15 years.
About "The Making of NMLS" Series
The Housing and Economic Recovery Act, or HERA, was signed into law fifteen years ago on July 30, 2008. HERA included the SAFE Act, which required mortgage loan originators to register or be licensed in the Nationwide Multi-State Licensing System (NMLS).
In celebration of 15 years of NMLS, CSBS is releasing a podcast series about the creation of NMLS. Join us each week through August as we interview the regulators and leaders responsible for one of history's most ambitious 50-state projects.
- Vickie Peck - Executive Vice President, Products & Solutions
- Buz Gorman - Executive Vice President, General Counsel
- John Ryan - Former CSBS President and CEO
- Neil Milner - Former CSBS President and CEO
- Bill Matthews - Former President and CEO of State Regulatory Registry LLC
- Steve Antonakes - Former Massachusetts Commissioner of Banks; Former Deputy Director of the CFPB
- Gavin Gee - Former Director of the Idaho Department of Finance; Former CSBS Chair
- Joe Smith - Former North Carolina Commissioner of Banks
- Tom Gronstal - Former Superintendent of Banking in Iowa
- Darrin Domingue - Former Chief Examiner of the Louisiana Office of Financial Institutions
How NMLS Benefits the Industry
Compliance Costs Before NMLS
How NMLS Benefits Consumers
Why Did Congress Write NMLS Into Federal Law?
How NMLS Empowers the State System
Temporary Authority to Operate
Multistate Licensing & Examination