The Making of NMLS: Epilogue - Lessons Learned and Wisdom from the Regulators
August 02, 2023
Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS)
In the epilogue, we ask regulators to share their insights on the importance of NMLS, what we gain from a state-federal regulatory partnership and lessons learned from the NMLS development process.
About "The Making of NMLS" Series
The Housing and Economic Recovery Act, or HERA, was signed into law fifteen years ago on July 30, 2008. HERA included the SAFE Act, which required mortgage loan originators to register or be licensed in the Nationwide Multi-State Licensing System (NMLS).
In celebration of 15 years of NMLS, CSBS is releasing a podcast series about the creation of NMLS. Join us each week through August as we interview the regulators and leaders responsible for one of history's most ambitious 50-state projects.
- Vickie Peck - Executive Vice President, Products & Solutions
- Buz Gorman - Executive Vice President, General Counsel
- John Ryan - Former CSBS President and CEO
- Neil Milner - Former CSBS President and CEO
- Bill Matthews - Former President and CEO of State Regulatory Registry LLC
- Steve Antonakes - Former Massachusetts Commissioner of Banks; Former Deputy Director of the CFPB
- Gavin Gee - Former Director of the Idaho Department of Finance; Former CSBS Chair
- Joe Smith - Former North Carolina Commissioner of Banks
- Tom Gronstal - Former Superintendent of Banking in Iowa
- Darrin Domingue - Former Chief Examiner of the Louisiana Office of Financial Institutions
What is the Most Important Thing NMLS Does for Supervision?
What Would We Lose Without a State Financial System?
What are Some Lessons to Take Away from the Making of NMLS?