The Making of NMLS: 4 - A Mortgage Crisis, Congress, and 50 State Legislatures
August 02, 2023
Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS)
When we left off from the last episode in September 2005, the CSBS Board of Directors had just approved the development of NMLS. In episode four, we discuss the significant trouble brewing in the mortgage market in 2006. As the mortgage crisis unfolded, state regulators pushed forward with the development of NMLS. As Congress investigated the crisis, state regulators shared NMLS as a possible solution for reigning in the market.
About "The Making of NMLS" Series
The Housing and Economic Recovery Act, or HERA, was signed into law fifteen years ago on July 30, 2008. HERA included the SAFE Act, which required mortgage loan originators to register or be licensed in the Nationwide Multi-State Licensing System (NMLS).
In celebration of 15 years of NMLS, CSBS is releasing a podcast series about the creation of NMLS. Join us each week through August as we interview the regulators and leaders responsible for one of history's most ambitious 50-state projects.
- Vickie Peck - Executive Vice President, Products & Solutions
- Buz Gorman - Executive Vice President, General Counsel
- John Ryan - Former CSBS President and CEO
- Neil Milner - Former CSBS President and CEO
- Bill Matthews - Former President and CEO of State Regulatory Registry LLC
- Steve Antonakes - Former Massachusetts Commissioner of Banks; Former Deputy Director of the CFPB
- Gavin Gee - Former Director of the Idaho Department of Finance; Former CSBS Chair
- Joe Smith - Former North Carolina Commissioner of Banks
- Tom Gronstal - Former Superintendent of Banking in Iowa
- Darrin Domingue - Former Chief Examiner of the Louisiana Office of Financial Institutions
The Mortgage Crisis Begins
Regulator and Platform Builder - Two Jobs at Once
The States Engage Congress
Testifying on the Mortgage Crisis
Bipartisan Support for NMLS
The States Get Two Years to Adopt NMLS
The States Set a Legislative Record Adopting NMLS